MARCH 14, 2013 — The Coast Guard reported today that response operations continue for a tug and barge that allided with a pipeline near Bayou Perot 30 miles south of New Orleans Thursday (see earlier report).
The Coast Guard is conducting a full investigation of the incident to determine the cause of the incident. No conclusions have been drawn at this time.
Personnel from T&T Salvage aboard the Todd Michael spud barge are on scene for cooling operations of the tank barge. The fire remains stabilized.
Responders continue to monitor and ensure the integrity of the barge is maintained to allow for safe salvage operations as soon as the fire is extinguished.
The Coast Guard has placed temporary flight restrictions over the airspace near the Shannon E. Settoon barge at and below 5,000 feet within approximately a one-mile radius. Responders have deployed 10,400 feet of boom around the tank barge to contain any possible pollution risks.
A Coast Guard Air Station New Orleans MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew is currently conducting an overflight assessment of the pipeline fire and is reporting the condition of the tug and barge to the unified command.
Approximately 2,200 barrels of crude oil remain on board the barge and have not been compromised.
There are approximately 40 response personnel on scene.
Resources deployed for the incident:
The 160-foot Coast Guard Cutter Axe and crew;
Twenty-thousand feet of containment boom on scene;
Two Marco skimmers;
Ten response vessels;
Two oil spill response trailers.
The unified command consists of the U.S. Coast Guard, Louisiana Oil Spill Coordinator's Office, Settoon Towing and Chevron. Contracting organizations include ES&H, CTEC Air Monitoring, T&T Salvage and Resolve Marine.
- 2011-06-16 - Kirby confirms second quarter earnings guidance
- 2012-04-19 - Ingram to buy U.S. United Barge Line from United Maritime Group
- 2012-03-25 - Intracoastal Iron Works busy building towboats
- 2012-03-27 - Salvage of capsized tug in dry dock successful
- 2012-03-27 - Bollinger Shipyards team on Bouchard ATB conversion
- 2012-05-12 - United Maritime Group to sell its bulk terminal unit in $215 million deal
- 2012-09-20 - Barges play key role in Virginia submarine program
- 2012-10-02 - Crowley awarded $16.5 million MSC charter for ATB
- 2012-10-09 - Waller LNG ATB gets ABS approval in principle
- 2012-10-09 - Vulcan Materials christens new tugboat
- 2012-10-10 - Low sulfur fuel capacity increased in Colombian port
- 2012-10-11 - International Shipholding buys Jones Act bulker operator
- 2012-10-18 - VT Halter Marine delivers ATB tug to Bouchard
- 2012-11-01 - Rand Logistics puts Jones Act ATB into service
- 2012-11-12 - Crowley tug crew makes heroic San Francisco Bay rescue
- 2012-11-12 - Wilson Sons to build 12 Damen ASD tugs for its fleet
- 2012-11-20 - Signet Maritime to add another Robert Allan-designed tug
- 2012-11-28 - Kirby to acquire Penn Maritime for $295 million
- 2012-12-12 - Vigor Marine replaces bow of 80,000 bbl barge
- 2012-12-17 - Kirby completes Penn Maritime acquisition
- 2012-12-17 - TY Offshore launches 30,000 bbl FMT oil barge
- 2012-12-19 - ACL to transport Canadian crude on U.S. waterways
- 2013-01-02 - Mississippi shutdown looms
- 2013-01-03 - Signet Shipbuilding delivers deck barge
- 2013-01-03 - Crowley makes VP appointment
- 2013-01-08 - Ingram Barge promotes Robert Barker
- 2013-01-22 - US Fab to build deck barge for Harley Marine Alaska service
- 2013-01-23 - Damen delivers Stan Tug to Norwegian shipbuilder
- 2013-01-29 - Vane Line wins $13.1 million TRANSCOM contract
- 2013-01-31 - Kirby reports increased fourth quarter earnings
- 2013-02-05 - Barge Master platform completes offshore testing
- 2013-02-14 - Bouchard orders 250,000 bbl ATB at VT Halter
- 2013-02-20 - Swiber completes India's first offshore floatover installation
- 2013-02-22 - Jensen Maritime designs Harley tugs and deck barge
- 2013-03-13 - Massive blaze after tug hits pipeline
- 2013-03-13 - Coast Guard continues to respond to pipeline blaze
- 2013-03-21 - Bouchard exercises ATB option at VT Halter
- 2013-03-22 - Nichols launches first of two tractor tugs for Harley
- 2013-03-27 - Kotug to add four new Rotor Tugs to its fleet
- 2013-03-29 - Conrad adds $51.4 million in new business
- 2013-04-01 - Great Lakes Shipyard launches first of two tugboats
- 2013-04-10 - Rolls-Royce and Drydocks World sign LNG fueled tug MOU
- 2013-04-24 - Vigor-built barge supports King County ferry operations
- 2013-04-25 - Barge explosions rock Mobile
- 2013-04-30 - SEACOR's Fabrikant: "We're very unhappy ..."
- 2013-04-30 - Buksér og Berging orders ASD tug from Vard Braila
- 2013-05-01 - Buckley McAllister elected new Chairman of AWO
- 2013-05-10 - Crowley takes delivery of DP2 ocean tug
- 2013-05-10 - COSCO Zhoushan wins launch barge order
- 2013-05-14 - Marcon brokers sale of 1995-built Alaska tug
- 2013-05-21 - TY launches another 30,000 barrel barge for FMT