DECEMBER 26, 2012 — General Dynamics Electric Boat Corp., Groton, Conn., is being awarded a $1,848,606,051 cost-plus-fixed-fee with special incentives contract for design work and products for the new class of ballistic missile submarines.
The contract includes foreign military sales to the United Kingdom (U.K.) (8 percent).
This contract includes design work for the Ohio Replacement program and continues the design and development of the joint U.S. Navy/U.K. Common Missile Compartment; shipbuilder and vendor component and technology development; engineering integration; concept design studies; cost reduction initiatives using a design for affordability process; and full scale prototype manufacturing and assembly. Additionally, this contract provides for engineering analysis, should-cost evaluations, and technology development and integration efforts. Other efforts contemplated under this contract include the continued design and development of U.K. unique Common Missile Compartment efforts.
This contract includes options which, if exercised, would bring the cumulative value of this contract to $1,995,831,561. Work will be performed in Groton, Conn. (91 percent); Newport News, Va. (7 percent); Quonset, R.I. (1 percent); and Bath, Maine (1 percent), and is expected to be completed by September 2017. Contract funds in the amount of $183,105,349 will be obligated at the time of award. Contract funds in the amount of $7,966,000 will expire at the end of the current fiscal year. This contract was not competitively procured in accordance with FAR 6.302-1.
The Naval Sea Systems Command, Washington, D.C., is the contracting activity (N00024-13-C-2128).
Marine Log News
- 2012-09-20 - Barges play key role in Virginia submarine program
- 2012-10-28 - Tenth Virginia-class submarine christened at NNS
- 2012-11-12 - Newport News Shipbuilding launches SSN 783
- 2012-11-17 - Electric Boat gets $88.8 million more for Virginia class work
- 2013-01-31 - EB gets $41.58 million more for Hartford drydocking
- 2013-03-01 - Electric Boat awarded SUBSAFE contract
- 2013-05-07 - NNS on track to deliver SSN 783 ahead of schedule