NOVEMBER 28, 2012 — A cruise ship originally built in 1986 by Kockums Varv, Malmö, Sweden, for Carnival Cruise Lines as MS Jubilee, is now operating as MS Henna for China's HNA Tourism Cruise and Yacht Management Co., Ltd. and has become the mainland's largest luxury cruise ship.
On January 26, 2013, the ship will make its debut cruise for HNA on the Sanya-Ha Long Bay to Da Nang route.
Mr. Zhang Hao, President of HNA Tourism Cruise and Yacht Management, said, "The cruise industry has great potential while the market is anticipated to be quite large. It is just starting out but is developing at a rapid speed in mainland China, including ancillary facilities and port construction."
HNA says that Chinese cruise routes are mainly based on short-term needs and short distance tours, with Sanya and Tianjin serving as home ports and Vietnam and South Korea as destinations. So far, HNA has maintained a mainly localized operation with the main focus on Chinese customers.
Henna has a length of 223 m, a width of 31 m and 739 cabins for 1,965 passengers, as well as a complete range of facilities for living and entertainment.
Prior to joining HNA, the ship had operated since 2004 as P&O Cruises Australia's as Pacific Sun and received a multi-million dollar makeover.
According to the Equasis data base, the Henna now flies the Maltese flag is managed by Star Cruises, Malaysia, while the registered owner is shown as Triton International, whose address is given as "Care of Princess Cruise Lines Ltd , Suite 200, 24305, Town Center Drive, Valencia CA 91355-4999, USA."
Marine Log News
- 2011-01-25 - Carnival Splendour goes to San Francisco for repairs
- 2011-06-22 - STX France cancels Libya cruise ship contract
- 2011-07-08 - American Cruise Line awarded Glacier Bay contract
- 2012-04-18 - Passengers from disabled Antarctic cruise ship transferred to rescue vessel
- 2012-01-23 - As Concordia death toll rises, EU takes new look at passenger vessel regs
- 2012-01-14 - Three dead in Costa Concordia grounding
- 2012-02-29 - Costa Allegra under tow, with armed security detail on board
- 2012-05-01 - Al Qaeda said to have cruise ships on terror wish list
- 2012-05-10 - Construction of NCL Breakaway class cruise ships moves ahead
- 2012-05-29 - IMO Maritime Safety Committee makes interim recommendations on passenger ship safety
- 2012-06-01 - Carnival takes delivery of Carnival Breeze
- 2012-07-09 - Princess Cruises awards Wärtsilä long term service contract
- 2012-09-07 - Pride of America set for major upgrades
- 2012-09-19 - TUI Cruise newbuild to have ABB energy management package
- 2012-09-20 - Cruise industry adopts new lifeboat loading policy
- 2012-10-03 - STX Finland to get order for third Oasis class cruise ship?
- 2012-10-04 - Eniram releases study on cruise ship fouling
- 2012-10-10 - Meyer Werft delivers Celebrity Reflection
- 2012-10-18 - Costa Concordia hearings continue
- 2012-10-26 - Royal Caribbean confirms it is negotiating for third Oasis
- 2012-10-27 - Carnival orders two new class cruise ships
- 2012-11-05 - TUI Cruises exercises newbuild option at STX Finland
- 2012-11-19 - USCG and NTSB join Costa Concordia investigation
- 2012-11-21 - Metso to refurbish cruise ship's automation system
- 2012-11-23 - Designers select Bolidt for Breakaway
- 2012-11-26 - Paris MOU set to start crack down on passenger ships
- 2012-12-05 - MSC agrees new cruise passenger safety measures
- 2012-12-10 - Sembawang Shipyard gets Royal Caribbean contract
- 2012-12-11 - Fincantieri places first Costa Diadema module in dock
- 2012-12-18 - TUI Cruises newbuilds to have KONE elevators and escalators
- 2012-12-20 - Cruise industry supports Paris MOU campaign
- 2012-12-28 - STX France wins order for Royal Caribbean's third Oasis
- 2013-01-17 - Pride of America to get exhaust gas scrubbers
- 2013-02-11 - Engine room fire disables Carnival Triumph
- 2013-02-11 - Carnival Triumph gets some shipboard power back
- 2013-02-12 - Carnival Triumph to be towed to Mobile, not Mexico
- 2013-02-12 - USCG and NTSB to investigate Carnival Triumph fire
- 2013-02-14 - Carnival ups compensation for Triumph passengers
- 2013-02-15 - Carnival Triumph towed to BAE Ship Repair
- 2013-02-19 - Fuel oil leak was source of Carnival Triumph fire
- 2013-02-19 - Seabourn in discussions with shipyards on newbuild
- 2013-02-25 - Norwegian Breakaway is set for float out
- 2013-02-26 - Costa Concordia plaintiffs claim "a huge victory"
- 2013-02-27 - Meyer Werft floats out Norwegian Breakaway
- 2013-03-07 - Meyer Werft: Shipyard fire won't delay Getaway delivery
- 2013-03-07 - Big cruise ship has small carbon footprint
- 2013-03-14 - Carnival Cruises flies Dream passengers back to U.S.
- 2013-03-13 - Carnival Cruises looks at lessons learned from Triumph fire
- 2013-03-15 - Vantage christens its latest river cruise ship
- 2013-03-15 - As Legend skips a port, Carnival reports on first quarter
- 2013-03-18 - Schumer demands cruise passenger "bill of rights"
- 2013-03-19 - Carnival delays return to service of Triumph and Sunshine
- 2013-03-27 - Fincantieri floats out Regal Princess
- 2013-03-31 - Norwegian Cruise Lines names Breakaway captains
- 2013-04-04 - Carnival Triumph blown from moorings at repair yard
- 2013-04-12 - MHI uses induction straightening on cruise newbuilds
- 2013-04-23 - Fox News appearance by AMO's Bethel draws criticism
- 2013-04-25 - Barge explosions rock Mobile
- 2013-04-30 - Adventure cruise ship drydocks at Lloyd Werft
- 2013-04-30 - M.E.B.A. says cruising does employ U.S. Merchant Mariners
- 2013-05-01 - Hapag-Lloyd Cruises takes delivery of Europa 2
- 2013-05-08 - Senator Rockefeller asks cruise lines about safety
- 2013-05-22 - Cruise industry adopts "passenger bill of rights"