NOVEMBER 27, 2012 — "The issue of tanker industry sustainability should be a topic of public conversation," says INTERTANKO Managing Director Katharina Stanzel.
Tanker owners continue to be deeply concerned that the current tanker market is jeopardizing the sustainability of the tanker industry ... and that has repercussions that extend way beyond the tanker industry.
Speaking recently to INTERTANKO's Council in London,IMO Secretary General Koji Sekimizu pointed out just how much the tanker industry contributes to the world economy. "Without the tanker industry, the world cannot survive - this is fact and reality," he said.
"The sustainability of the tanker industry is a balancing act between economics, tanker safety, the environment, and the demands of our global society which depends on the safe transportation of liquid energy for its way of life," says Ms. Katharina Stanzel. "At our Council meeting, our members made it abundantly clear that tanker operators cannot continue to operate at current freight levels."
Senior leaders of the tanker industry agreed that all stakeholders need to be involved to remove distortions in the market to the benefit of everybody. They have tasked the Association to engage with industry stakeholder groups to explore how best to handle the current situation while remaining committed to maintaining the highest standards of safety and quality.
INTERTANKO is in discussions with the broking and chartering communities, and says it will soon engage with other tanker industry stakeholders to consider the critical implications of today's realities and with a view to redressing imbalances that have developed over time.
Marine Log News
- 2011-11-17 - General Maritime files for Chapter 11 protection
- 2012-02-10 - OSG suspends dividend payments
- 2012-03-09 - OSG promotes Janice Smith to Senior Vice President
- 2012-05-01 - Jones Act fleet one bright spot in OSG picture
- 2012-05-03 - Genmar set to emerge from bankruptcy
- 2012-05-08 - Navios Acquisition turns in loss, declares dividend
- 2012-05-14 - Katharina Stanzel named INTERTANKO Managing Director
- 2012-08-01 - More red ink at OSG
- 2012-08-03 - Moody's lowers OSG ratings
- 2012-08-21 - Cummings urges Obama to support Jones Act in SPR draw down
- 2012-10-10 - Intertanko's Katharina Stanzel voted WISTA Personality of the Year
- 2012-10-22 - OSG says it is considering a Chapter 11 filing
- 2012-10-22 - Wärtsilä offers highly efficient Aframax
- 2012-10-24 - OSG: The sharks start to circle
- 2012-11-01 - Milestone order for Wärtsilä RT-flex engine
- 2012-11-07 - Tanker propeller jobs keep Hydrex teams busy
- 2012-11-09 - Maersk profits soar in third quarter
- 2012-11-14 - OSG files for Chapter 11
- 2012-11-14 - OSG gets a "D" from Standard & Poor's
- 2012-12-12 - Washed up tanker lifted from Staten Island street
- 2012-12-19 - Aker Philly starts production of second SeaRiver Aframax
- 2013-01-03 - Crowley makes VP appointment
- 2013-01-09 - USCG and NTSB probe OSG tanker allision with Bay Bridge
- 2013-01-11 - Tanker that struck Bay Bridge is cleared to sail
- 2013-01-25 - Polymers used in clean up of tanker grounded by Sandy
- 2013-01-30 - Crowley christens its second tanker from Aker Philadelphia
- 2013-02-18 - Aker Philadelphia in product tanker agreement
- 2013-02-28 - Scorpio Tankers exercises newbuild options at HMD
- 2013-04-01 - Tanker hits Sarah Long Bridge
- 2013-04-03 - Tanker freed following bridge allision
- 2013-04-05 - Itkin out at OSG
- 2013-04-15 - State lifts Iran sanctions on three companies
- 2013-04-23 - Odfjell buys in time chartered chemical tanker
- 2013-04-24 - Torm CFO steps down
- 2013-04-30 - Arbitration panel finds for Algoma in shipbuilding case
- 2013-05-06 - Aker Philly in preliminary deal for 2-4 tanker newbuilds
- 2013-05-21 - INTERTANKO applauds MEPC actions on BWM Convention