NOVEMBER 21, 2012 — Star Cruises of Malaysia has chosen Metso to refurbish the automation system on its cruise ship MS Star Pisces. The vessel’s new automation will increase reliability and customer comfort. After docking in Hong Kong in February, the vessel will continue its cruise program from March 2013 onwards.
Metso will supply its state-of-the-art Metso DNA system to replace the originally supplied Metso Damatic Classic automation system.
The new system will handle machinery automation, including the power management system for four diesel generators. The delivery includes operator stations, redundant process control stations, I/O units, an information management system, and remote diagnostics access.
MS Star Pisces, with a gross tonnage of 40,000, has a passenger capacity of 1,081 with its 626 cabins. It was built in 1990 at the then Masa Yards, Turku, Finland, under the name MS Kalypso. In 1994, she was purchased by Star Cruises Limited (owned by Genting Hong Kong Limited) for cruising in Southeast Asia.
To date, Metso has delivered close to 800 automation systems based on its technology platform for ships.These systems are designed for advanced ship types, such as cruise liners. In particular, redundancy features and high product quality that guarantee safe and undisturbed ship operations have contributed to the success of Metso’s automation systems.
Marine Log News
- 2011-01-25 - Carnival Splendour goes to San Francisco for repairs
- 2011-06-22 - STX France cancels Libya cruise ship contract
- 2011-07-08 - American Cruise Line awarded Glacier Bay contract
- 2012-04-18 - Passengers from disabled Antarctic cruise ship transferred to rescue vessel
- 2012-01-23 - As Concordia death toll rises, EU takes new look at passenger vessel regs
- 2012-01-14 - Three dead in Costa Concordia grounding
- 2012-02-29 - Costa Allegra under tow, with armed security detail on board
- 2012-05-01 - Al Qaeda said to have cruise ships on terror wish list
- 2012-05-10 - Construction of NCL Breakaway class cruise ships moves ahead
- 2012-05-29 - IMO Maritime Safety Committee makes interim recommendations on passenger ship safety
- 2012-06-01 - Carnival takes delivery of Carnival Breeze
- 2012-07-09 - Princess Cruises awards Wärtsilä long term service contract
- 2012-09-07 - Pride of America set for major upgrades
- 2012-09-19 - TUI Cruise newbuild to have ABB energy management package
- 2012-09-20 - Cruise industry adopts new lifeboat loading policy
- 2012-10-03 - STX Finland to get order for third Oasis class cruise ship?
- 2012-10-04 - Eniram releases study on cruise ship fouling
- 2012-10-10 - Meyer Werft delivers Celebrity Reflection
- 2012-10-18 - Costa Concordia hearings continue
- 2012-10-26 - Royal Caribbean confirms it is negotiating for third Oasis
- 2012-10-27 - Carnival orders two new class cruise ships
- 2012-11-05 - TUI Cruises exercises newbuild option at STX Finland
- 2012-11-19 - USCG and NTSB join Costa Concordia investigation
- 2012-11-23 - Designers select Bolidt for Breakaway
- 2012-11-26 - Paris MOU set to start crack down on passenger ships
- 2012-11-28 - Veteran cruise ship starts new life in China
- 2012-12-05 - MSC agrees new cruise passenger safety measures
- 2012-12-10 - Sembawang Shipyard gets Royal Caribbean contract
- 2012-12-11 - Fincantieri places first Costa Diadema module in dock
- 2012-12-18 - TUI Cruises newbuilds to have KONE elevators and escalators
- 2012-12-20 - Cruise industry supports Paris MOU campaign
- 2012-12-28 - STX France wins order for Royal Caribbean's third Oasis
- 2013-01-17 - Pride of America to get exhaust gas scrubbers
- 2013-02-11 - Engine room fire disables Carnival Triumph
- 2013-02-11 - Carnival Triumph gets some shipboard power back
- 2013-02-12 - Carnival Triumph to be towed to Mobile, not Mexico
- 2013-02-12 - USCG and NTSB to investigate Carnival Triumph fire
- 2013-02-14 - Carnival ups compensation for Triumph passengers
- 2013-02-15 - Carnival Triumph towed to BAE Ship Repair
- 2013-02-19 - Fuel oil leak was source of Carnival Triumph fire
- 2013-02-25 - Norwegian Breakaway is set for float out
- 2013-02-26 - Costa Concordia plaintiffs claim "a huge victory"
- 2013-02-27 - Meyer Werft floats out Norwegian Breakaway
- 2013-03-07 - Meyer Werft: Shipyard fire won't delay Getaway delivery
- 2013-03-07 - Big cruise ship has small carbon footprint
- 2013-03-14 - Carnival Cruises flies Dream passengers back to U.S.
- 2013-03-13 - Carnival Cruises looks at lessons learned from Triumph fire
- 2013-03-15 - Vantage christens its latest river cruise ship
- 2013-03-15 - As Legend skips a port, Carnival reports on first quarter
- 2013-03-18 - Schumer demands cruise passenger "bill of rights"
- 2013-03-19 - Carnival delays return to service of Triumph and Sunshine
- 2013-03-27 - Fincantieri floats out Regal Princess
- 2013-03-31 - Norwegian Cruise Lines names Breakaway captains
- 2013-04-04 - Carnival Triumph blown from moorings at repair yard
- 2013-04-12 - MHI uses induction straightening on cruise newbuilds
- 2013-04-23 - Fox News appearance by AMO's Bethel draws criticism
- 2013-04-25 - Barge explosions rock Mobile
- 2013-04-30 - Adventure cruise ship drydocks at Lloyd Werft
- 2013-04-30 - M.E.B.A. says cruising does employ U.S. Merchant Mariners
- 2013-05-01 - Hapag-Lloyd Cruises takes delivery of Europa 2
- 2013-05-08 - Senator Rockefeller asks cruise lines about safety