OCTOBER 10, 2012 — The Royal Netherlands Sea Rescue Institution (KNRM), has developed an advanced "on-scene coordination search and rescue vessel," the NH 1816 Class.
The NH1816 is a self-righting, fast, seaworthy monohull with aluminum hull, composite wheelhouse and a modified Sea Axe bow which cuts through waves, reducing vertical g-forces by 45 percent and enabling top speeds of over 30 knots.
The Sea Axe bow was originally designed by Professor Lex Keuning of Delft University of Technology and Damen Shipyards Group. Currently, the patented bow has been mostly used in Damen fast crew boats, high speed support vessels, offshore patrol vessels and fast yacht support vessels.
In addition to the Axe Bow, the NH 1816 is outfitted with retractable rear fins that can be lowered for more course stability, or raised to give extra maneuverability.
In the wheelhouse, state-of-the-art fully integrated electronics permit real-time data exchange for ship-to-shore communications (an earlier version of this system is already approved by the RNLI in the U.K.).
Crew working conditions have been enhanced by limiting the slamming motion of the vessel and by ergonomic features that include specialized seating, climate control, improved visibility and reduced vibration and noise levels.
The vessel's dimensions are generous, giving extra space not only on deck, which can accommodate 125 people, but also in the engine room. This gives staff better access to machinery, improving maintenance conditions and effectiveness.
Construction of the first NH 1816 Class vessel will start by the end of 2012, with the launch scheduled for the third quarter of 2013. Following sea trials, the KNRM will be offering NH 1816 Class lifeboats to other SAR and coastguard operations. The vessels will be constructed by Damen Shipyards and its affiliates.
Marine Log News
- 2011-07-19 - OSD to design seismic support vessel for Bourbon
- 2011-07-28 - Campbell Shipping orders fuel-efficient bulkers at Tsuji
- 2011-09-09 - Otto Marine books newbuilding orders for AHTS duo
- 2012-04-18 - Liberian flag benefits as Greek fleet adds to tonnage total
- 2012-01-27 - Bollinger Shipyards President and CEO honored by Signal Mutual
- 2012-02-06 - LEEVAC launches third lightering support vessel for AET
- 2012-01-31 - Wärtsilä completes Hamworthy acquisition
- 2012-03-22 - BAE Systems Southeast Shipyards seeks to diversify production
- 2012-05-09 - Damen delivers firefighting vessel to Bremen
- 2012-05-16 - Cargotec books contracts to equip 15 OSV's building in China
- 2012-05-16 - Conrad Industries reports on first quarter and backlog
- 2012-05-22 - BMT Nigel Gee to provide vessel designs to Estonia's BLRT Marketex
- 2012-07-23 - Atlantic Offshore orders FSVs from Spain's Zamonaka
- 2012-08-09 - Bollinger appoints Skip Bowen as VP Government Relations
- 2012-09-21 - USCG exercises option with Bollinger for six more FRCs
- 2012-10-01 - NSRP to fund 12 new shipbuilding R&D projects
- 2012-10-10 - Nam Cheong sells two build-for-stock PSV newbuilds
- 2012-11-19 - ABS in strategic cooperation with Taiwan shipbuilder
- 2012-11-21 - Bollinger delivers fourth FRC to Coast Guard
- 2012-11-23 - BMT Nigel Gee WSVs launched by three shipyards
- 2012-11-27 - Stolt Tankers orders five from Chinese shipyards
- 2012-11-29 - Damen to build rescue ship to support RAN sub fleet
- 2012-12-07 - VT Halter Marine breaks ground for new ship repair facility
- 2012-12-21 - Fincantieri to acquire STX OSV
- 2012-12-21 - LR gives approval in principle to LNG-fueled bulker
- 2013-01-04 - Frontline 2012 said to ink LOIs for bulker newbuilds
- 2013-01-23 - Fincantieri completes its acquisition of STX OSV
- 2013-01-31 - Federal judge throws out U.S. suit against Bollinger
- 2013-02-05 - Detyens awarded $8.45 million for T-AKE 5 drydocking
- 2013-02-08 - Damen acquires Dutch ship repairer Shipdock
- 2013-02-12 - Harvey Gulf gets $100 million charter for newbuild
- 2013-02-20 - EC unveils new strategy for shipbuilding
- 2013-02-25 - Vancouver Shipyards Co. gets preliminary NSPS contracts
- 2013-03-07 - Scorpio Tankers continues newbuilding spree
- 2013-03-18 - Vancouver Shipyards starts OFSV design work
- 2013-03-19 - Siemens wins order for Aries PSV diesel electric solution
- 2013-03-21 - GAO reports on impacts of Jones Act on Puerto Rico trade
- 2013-03-25 - Bibby COO warns: Eco ships won't arrive overnight
- 2013-03-25 - Bollinger delivers fifth FRC to Coast Guard
- 2013-03-27 - ClassNK approves duplex stainless steel applications
- 2013-03-27 - Kotug to add four new Rotor Tugs to its fleet
- 2013-03-29 - Sentinel Marine orders ERRVs for North Sea at Nam Cheong
- 2013-04-02 - AdvanFort adds to business development team
- 2013-04-05 - Damen to tackle South African DAFF fleet woes
- 2013-04-12 - Leevac wins Tidewater PSV contract
- 2013-04-19 - Damen books big Bahamas contract
- 2013-04-26 - Viking invests in new Singapore innovation hub
- 2013-05-09 - Rolls-Royce books 100th drillship propulsion order
- 2013-05-15 - Conrad increases net and adds to backlog
- 2013-05-20 - MacGregor wins offshore winch contracts
- 2013-05-22 - Damen Stan Patrols chosen by Italy's Guardia di Finanza
- 2013-05-22 - Bollinger delivers sixth FRC to Coast Guard
- 2013-05-23 - Leevac to build two MPSVs for Hornbeck Offshore