july 12, 2012—Offshore Ship Designers’ UK division OSD-IMT has been awarded a contract to supply the design for a modified version of its IMT 982 Platform Supply Vessel to be built at the new shipyard facility of Honghua Offshore Oil & Gas Equipment in Jiangsu, China.
The Platform Supply Vessel (PSV) contract was secured through OSD-Shanghai. OSD-Singapore will provide design engineering technical support to OSD-Shanghai for design modification, while the basic class-approved design documentation and design license will be provided by OSD-IMT Ltd, Montrose, UK.
The 83.2-meter-long PSV will have a deck area of 900 m² and can carry 1,330 m³ of fuel oil, 800 m³ of potable fresh water, 980 m³ of liquid mud/brine, 1,350 m³ of drill water/water ballast, 265 m³ of dry bulk and 170 m³ of base oil. The PSV will have a maximum deadweight load of about 4,000 tonnes at 6 m draft. The PSV will have accommodations for a crew of 28.
The PSV will have diesel-electric propulsion, with four main diesel generators, two 1,900 kW frequency-controlled, electric motor-driven azimuth thrusters aft and two 800 kW frequency-controlled, electric motor-driven tunnel thrusters fitted forward. The vessel will be classed by Lloyds Register of Shipping and is fitted with a DP2 system. The expected sea trial speed will be 14 knots.
The design contract follows other recent successes for OSD. Swire Pacific Offshore (SPO) has ordered six high-specification IMT 984 3,700 dwt PSVs from Japan’s Universal Shipbuilding Corporation (USC), with options for four more vessels. The vessels will be built in USC's Keihin Shipyard and delivered starting from the third quarter of 2014. These orders follow on from the one placed in late 2011 for four OSD-IMT-designed IMT 997 5,000 DWT PSVs at USC’s Maizuru Shipyard and four IMT 997 PSVs at the EISA Shipyard, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 2011-05-12 - Olympic Shipping orders third MT 6015 at Kleven
- 2012-02-23 - PSV to have world's first shipboard DC power grid
- 2012-05-14 - Alianca delivers second PX 106 to Brazil's CBO
- 2012-08-17 - Miclyn Express Offshore building two Platform Supply Vessels
- 2012-08-27 - Rethinking the Platform Supply Vessel
- 2012-10-05 - Corvus supplying battery system for fuel cell vessel
- 2012-10-08 - Hungry Chinese yards turn focus from bulkers to OSVs
- 2012-11-08 - Britoil to enter PSV market with PX121 pair
- 2012-11-12 - Wärtsilä sales of gas-fueled engines top 2,000 mark
- 2012-12-12 - Havyard PSV design picked by COSL
- 2013-01-28 - Damen launches first vessel in new PSV series
- 2013-02-06 - PSV will be first vessel with Rolls-Royce Unified Bridge
- 2013-02-25 - GPA releases more details of Jackson Offshore PSVs
- 2013-03-06 - Ulstein delivers third PSV to its Blue Ship subsidiary
- 2013-03-07 - Ulstein books design and power orders for Vroon PSVs
- 2013-03-27 - Cochin shipyard delivers first of four Vard design PSVs
- 2013-04-02 - USDOT says Bravante launch shows value of Title XI
- 2013-04-04 - PSV is first vessel with ABB Onboard DC Grid
- 2013-04-17 - Aberdeen naming ceremony for Sinopacific X-bow PSV
- 2013-05-13 - Ulstein delivers fourth PSV to its Blue Ship subsidiary
- 2013-05-15 - Tidewater to buy Norway's Troms Offshore Supply