FEBRUARY 11, 2013 — The 101,509 GT, 893 ft cruise ship Carnival Triumph has lost power and was yesterday reported dead in the water approximately 136 miles north of Merida, Mexico.
The Coast Guard says the ship reported a fire in the aft engine room and that the ship's personnel isolated and extinguished the fire. No injuries have been reported.
The Coast Guard Cutter Vigorous has been diverted to provide assistance if needed and was scheduled to arrive early this morning.
Carnival released the following statement at 7.30 p.m., yesterday, Feb 10:
This morning the cruise ship Carnival Triumph experienced an engine room fire while the vessel was sailing approximately 150 miles off the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula. The ship's automatic fire extinguishing systems activated and the fire was contained to the aft engine room. At this time, the fire is fully extinguished. There were no casualties or injuries to guests or crew. All appropriate authorities including U.S. Coast Guard have been notified.
The vessel is currently without propulsion and the ship is operating on emergency generator power. The ship's technical crew has determined the vessel will need to be towed to port. A tugboat is en route to the ship's location and will tow the vessel to Progreso, Mexico, which is the closest port to the ship's current location. This will enable us to disembark guests and get them home as quickly as possible. The ship is expected to arrive in Progreso Wednesday afternoon and guests will be flown from there back to the U.S.
There are 3,143 guests and 1,086 crew on board. Guests are being provided with food and refreshments. Another Carnival ship, the Carnival Elation, is currently on scene and transferring additional food and beverage provisions to the Carnival Triumph.
We have contacted the designated emergency contacts for all guests presently on board Carnival Triumph. Concerned family and loved ones of guests and crew may call 888.290.5095 or 305.406.5534.
All guests on the current Carnival Triumph voyage will receive a full refund of the cruise, along with transportation expenses. In addition, they will receive a future cruise credit equal to the amount paid for this voyage, as well as reimbursement of all shipboard purchases during the voyage, with the exception of gift shop and casino charges.
The next two voyages of Carnival Triumph, scheduled to depart Monday, February 11 and Saturday, February 16 are being cancelled. Guests scheduled to sail on either of those voyages will receive a full refund, reimbursement for non-refundable travel expenses and a 25 percent discount on a future three to five-day cruise. Carnival is in contact with impacted guests to advise them of the situation.
The current Carnival Triumph voyage departed Galveston, Texas on Thursday, February 7 and was scheduled to return on Monday, Feb. 11.
Marine Log News
- 2011-01-25 - Carnival Splendour goes to San Francisco for repairs
- 2011-06-22 - STX France cancels Libya cruise ship contract
- 2011-07-08 - American Cruise Line awarded Glacier Bay contract
- 2012-04-13 - Antarctic "adventure cruise" ship loses propulsion
- 2012-04-18 - Passengers from disabled Antarctic cruise ship transferred to rescue vessel
- 2012-01-23 - As Concordia death toll rises, EU takes new look at passenger vessel regs
- 2012-01-14 - Three dead in Costa Concordia grounding
- 2012-02-29 - Costa Allegra under tow, with armed security detail on board
- 2012-03-30 - Corvus batteries chosen for Europe's first hybrid tugboat
- 2012-05-01 - Al Qaeda said to have cruise ships on terror wish list
- 2012-05-09 - Lance Camerna back at Holland America
- 2012-05-10 - Construction of NCL Breakaway class cruise ships moves ahead
- 2012-05-29 - IMO Maritime Safety Committee makes interim recommendations on passenger ship safety
- 2012-06-01 - Carnival takes delivery of Carnival Breeze
- 2012-07-09 - Princess Cruises awards Wärtsilä long term service contract
- 2012-09-07 - Pride of America set for major upgrades
- 2012-09-16 - Electric Boat to work on fire-damaged submarine
- 2012-09-19 - TUI Cruise newbuild to have ABB energy management package
- 2012-09-20 - Cruise industry adopts new lifeboat loading policy
- 2012-10-03 - STX Finland to get order for third Oasis class cruise ship?
- 2012-10-04 - Eniram releases study on cruise ship fouling
- 2012-10-09 - Vulcan Materials christens new tugboat
- 2012-10-10 - Meyer Werft delivers Celebrity Reflection
- 2012-10-17 - Norwegian Cruise Line orders new ship at Meyer Werft
- 2012-10-18 - Costa Concordia hearings continue
- 2012-10-26 - Royal Caribbean confirms it is negotiating for third Oasis
- 2012-10-27 - Carnival orders two new class cruise ships
- 2012-11-05 - TUI Cruises exercises newbuild option at STX Finland
- 2012-11-12 - Crowley tug crew makes heroic San Francisco Bay rescue
- 2012-11-19 - USCG and NTSB join Costa Concordia investigation
- 2012-11-21 - Metso to refurbish cruise ship's automation system
- 2012-11-23 - Designers select Bolidt for Breakaway
- 2012-11-26 - Paris MOU set to start crack down on passenger ships
- 2012-11-28 - Kirby to acquire Penn Maritime for $295 million
- 2012-11-28 - Veteran cruise ship starts new life in China
- 2012-11-28 - Marad funds three vessel repowering demo projects
- 2012-11-29 - WSS makes sales appointment
- 2012-12-05 - MSC agrees new cruise passenger safety measures
- 2012-12-10 - Sembawang Shipyard gets Royal Caribbean contract
- 2012-12-11 - Fincantieri places first Costa Diadema module in dock
- 2012-12-14 - Royal Caribbean added to NASDAQ Sustainability Index
- 2012-12-18 - TUI Cruises newbuilds to have KONE elevators and escalators
- 2012-12-20 - Cruise industry supports Paris MOU campaign
- 2012-12-28 - STX France wins order for Royal Caribbean's third Oasis
- 2013-01-17 - Pride of America to get exhaust gas scrubbers
- 2013-01-25 - Norwegian Cruise Line IPO raises $477.6 million
- 2013-01-28 - Tracy Murrell is new director of NTSB Marine Safety Office
- 2013-01-31 - Kirby reports increased fourth quarter earnings
- 2013-02-11 - Carnival Triumph gets some shipboard power back
- 2013-02-12 - Carnival Triumph to be towed to Mobile, not Mexico
- 2013-02-12 - USCG and NTSB to investigate Carnival Triumph fire
- 2013-02-14 - Carnival ups compensation for Triumph passengers
- 2013-02-15 - Carnival Triumph towed to BAE Ship Repair
- 2013-02-19 - Fuel oil leak was source of Carnival Triumph fire
- 2013-02-25 - Norwegian Breakaway is set for float out
- 2013-02-25 - MTN Satellite offers new broadband solution
- 2013-02-26 - Costa Concordia plaintiffs claim "a huge victory"
- 2013-02-27 - Meyer Werft floats out Norwegian Breakaway
- 2013-03-07 - Meyer Werft: Shipyard fire won't delay Getaway delivery
- 2013-03-07 - Big cruise ship has small carbon footprint
- 2013-03-14 - Carnival Cruises flies Dream passengers back to U.S.
- 2013-03-13 - Carnival Cruises looks at lessons learned from Triumph fire
- 2013-03-15 - Vantage christens its latest river cruise ship
- 2013-03-15 - As Legend skips a port, Carnival reports on first quarter
- 2013-03-18 - Schumer demands cruise passenger "bill of rights"
- 2013-03-19 - Carnival delays return to service of Triumph and Sunshine
- 2013-03-22 - Another Crowley crew commended for humanitarian actions
- 2013-03-27 - Fincantieri floats out Regal Princess
- 2013-03-28 - Japan's first hybrid tugboat enters service
- 2013-03-31 - Norwegian Cruise Lines names Breakaway captains
- 2013-04-04 - Carnival Triumph blown from moorings at repair yard
- 2013-04-12 - MHI uses induction straightening on cruise newbuilds
- 2013-04-17 - Royal Caribbean unveils Quantum Class details
- 2013-04-18 - Delivery of LNG-fueled cruise ferry delayed
- 2013-04-23 - Fox News appearance by AMO's Bethel draws criticism
- 2013-04-25 - Barge explosions rock Mobile
- 2013-04-30 - Adventure cruise ship drydocks at Lloyd Werft
- 2013-04-30 - M.E.B.A. says cruising does employ U.S. Merchant Mariners
- 2013-05-01 - Hapag-Lloyd Cruises takes delivery of Europa 2
- 2013-05-01 - Buckley McAllister elected new Chairman of AWO
- 2013-05-08 - Five dead after ship slams into Genoa control tower
- 2013-05-08 - Senator Rockefeller asks cruise lines about safety
- 2013-05-22 - Cruise industry adopts "passenger bill of rights"
- 2013-05-27 - Italy releases Costa Concordia casualty investigation report
- 2013-05-27 - Fire breaks out on cruise ship mooring deck
- 2013-05-28 - Royal Caribbean flies Grandeur passengers home
- 2013-05-30 - Royal Caribbean orders third Quantum Class ship